More than 300 passengers were evacuated from a Mass Transit Railway (MTR) train in Hong Kong on Wednesday after an apparent short circuit in a portable mobile-phone charger filled a carriage with smoke.

At 11:30am, a 26-year-old passenger traveling on the West Rail Line from Tuen Mun in the New Territories to Hung Hom in Kowloon was charging his phone with a power bank, Sing Tao Daily reported.

As the train left Tsuen Wan West Station, the man, who was in the sixth car of the train, saw smoke coming from the device. He immediately threw it on the floor, and smoke soon filled the car.

MTR staff evacuated 360 passengers at Mei Foo Station. No one was injured. A staffer found the damaged device on the train floor.

Firemen attended but no fire was found. Police believe the incident stemmed from a short circuit in the power bank.