Despite her own injuries, an Indonesian domestic worker saved her employer’s son from a fire in Sai Wan on Hong Kong Island on Saturday. At 11pm, a range hood in an apartment on the fifth floor of Cheung Ling Mansion on Connaught Road West burst into flames and exploded, Oriental Daily reported.

The domestic worker, 34, who was working in the kitchen, was seriously burned, and she also injured her head as she fled from the blaze. Despite her injuries, she rushed into her employer’s son’s room and helped him run to the ground floor.

The seven-year-old boy of Turkish origin was unhurt, but the domestic worker’s face, arms and legs were burned. She was sent to hospital for medical treatment and was in serious condition.

Firefighters put out the blaze in 30 minutes. About 110 residents were evacuated from the building as a safety precaution, Apple Daily reported.

After an initial investigation, officials suggested that the fire was the result of a short circuit in the range hood.

The police and media reports did not disclose the name of the domestic worker.