At least 15 men and three women have been killed after a KMB double-decker bus lost control on Tai Po Road in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Saturday evening.

On Saturday, the route 872 bus had been on its way from Shatin racecourse to Tai Po. At 6:16pm, the bus crashed and flipped over onto its left side, with debris strewn along the kerbside, RTHK reported.

A total of 18 people died and 47 people were injured in the accident. Among the injured, 10 people are in a critical condition in hospital, 15 are serious and 29 are stable, HK01.com reported.

The cause of the fatal accident remains unclear.

The 30-year-old bus driver was arrested by the police for alleged dangerous driving causing death and grievous bodily harm.

KMB expressed regret over the fatal accident. It said the driver, who joined the company in 2014 and started working part-time last year, had had sufficient rest before beginning his shift.

It also said the driver has a good driving record and it was not the first time he was driving the route.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam said the government is “deeply grieved” by the accident. She said she will order an independent inquiry to see whether there are any systemic problems with the city’s bus operations.

Police have set up an enquiry hotline (1878999).

In 2003, 21 people died in a bus accident in Tuen Mun. In 2008, 18 were killed after a bus crashed in Sai Kung.