The Philippine consul in Hong Kong says he will work with the Russian Consulate on stopping the illegal recruitment of Filipino domestic workers to Russia.

On January 24, Antonio A Morales made a courtesy visit to the Russian mission in the city and talked to Consul General Alexander Kozlov, reports sunwebhk.com, a news portal for Filipinos in Hong Kong.

Morales said he and Kozlov promised to work together on the illegal-recruitment issue.

Kozlov said there were about 5,000 Filipinos working illegally in his country, many of whom had come through Hong Kong. They had been issued visas meant for skilled workers or short-term commercial visas.

Jalilo dela Torre, head of the Philippine Overseas Workers Welfare Administration’s office in Hong Kong, said deployment of workers to third countries was illegal under Philippine law.