An apartment in a public housing estate in Hong Kong’s New Territories caught fire on Thursday because of a short circuit in a fan heater.

AT 3:40am, fire broke out in an apartment on the 17th floor of Hong Wah House in Cheung Hong Estate, Tsing Yi, and heavy smoke was seen billowing out, news website HK01.com reported.

Fire services were called in and put out the fire in 10 minutes. No one was hurt.

After an initial investigation, firefighters believed that the blaze was due to a short circuit in a portable heater that had been placed in a bedroom, which burned a blanket.

A mother and her son were able to get out of the burning apartment.

A total of 250 residents of the building were evacuated amid temperatures outside as low as 10 degrees Celsius.

Some people were dressed in only thin clothes without a jacket or even shoes. Paramedics provided them with emergency blankets.

Read: Electrical heater catches fire, forces evacuation