Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the ban on Filipinos being sent to work in Kuwait to be lifted.

Harry Roque, the presidential spokesperson, said Duterte had instructed Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III to totally lift the deployment ban to Kuwait, the Manila Bulletin reported.

“Upon the recommendation of Special Envoy to Kuwait Abdullah Mama-o, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte tonight instructed Secretary Silvestre Bello to totally lift the ban on Filipino workers being deployed to Kuwait,” Roque said on Wednesday evening.

Bello said the lifting of the ban would allow domestic workers to work in Kuwait, Asharq Al-aswat reported

“The president directed me to lift the ban totally, both for the domestic and skilled workers. The president deemed that our overseas workers are protected in Kuwait and there will no longer be incidents of maltreatment, hopefully,” Bello said.

The Philippine government lifted the deployment ban for skilled and semi-skilled workers on Tuesday.

More than 20,000 Filipino workers are set to leave the Philippines and return to Kuwait.

Ties between the two countries took a hit in April when staff from the Philippine embassy were involved in rescues of Filipina workers who voiced distress over abuse or ill-treatment by their employers. Kuwaiti authorities expelled the Philippine envoy after seeing videos showing embassy staff helping Filipino workers flee bosses in the Gulf state.

But relations have returned to normal since then, with the signing of a pact to try to ensure Filipino workers’ rights are protected and a better system set up to protect them from abuse.

ReadManila lifts deployment ban on skilled workers to Kuwait

ReadMore than 20,000 Filipino workers to leave for Kuwait