A Filipino domestic worker was sent to hospital with burns after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a village house in Sai Kung in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Tuesday.

Late that morning, the maid was cooking on the third floor of a village house on Lung Mei Tsuen Road in Sai Kung when the fire broke out, broadcaster nowTV reported.

The woman suffered burns and was sent to Tseung Kwan O Hospital for treatment.

A villager who lived nearby said his dog named Della got excited and led him to the village house, where he saw that a fire had broken out, Sing Tao Daily reported.

He and the maid tried to put out the fire but failed.

Firefighters arrived and extinguished the blaze, but not before furniture and electronic appliances had been seriously damaged or destroyed.