A 36-year-old male tenant was hospitalized after a mobile phone power bank caught fire in a subdivided flat in Yuen Long, the New Territories on Sunday.

At 2am, when the man, surnamed Leung, plugged a power bank into the mains supply for charging, it exploded and caught fire, Apple Daily reported.

He ran out of his room and yelled for help, urging other tenants to escape. Due to heat created by the fire, an air-conditioner reportedly fell from the building.

After Leung felt unwell from inhaling the heavy smoke that had filled the flat, he was sent to Pok Oi Hospital for treatment.

After firemen evacuated around 10 people to an open area, they took 20 minutes to extinguish the fire, Oriental Daily reported.

Each floor in the tenement building reportedly had two apartments, and there were seven subdivided flats in the apartment which suffered the fire.