A 41-year-old woman became ill and was sent to a hospital after she received botox injections in her calves by a mainland beautician at home in Hong Kong.

The woman, who also had an unspecified illness, became weak and had difficulty swallowing on September 28, four days after she received botulinum toxin injections in both her calves by a beautician from mainland China at her home in Hong Kong, according to a statement from the Center for Health Protection.

The woman was admitted to the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital on October 29 and the clinical diagnosis was suspected iatrogenic botulism. The woman is now in a stable condition and the center is investigating the case.

A spokesperson from the health authority reminded the public that botox injections should only be prescribed and performed by registered doctors.

Due to the weakening of associated muscles and the fact that botulinum toxin may spread and affect other areas beyond the injection site, affected patients may have drooping of the eyelids, double vision or blurred vision, problems with chewing, hoarseness or even difficulties swallowing, speaking or breathing, which may happen in hours, days or weeks after the injection.

The Center received the first botulism case in May 2016. As of October 31 this year, there were 17 suspected cases of botulism reported to the Center in which 14 patients received botox injections in mainland China.

The other three patients had the injections in Mong Kok, Yau Ma Tei and Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon, the Oriental Daily reported.

Read: Botulism suspected after woman has botox injections in China