A 13-year-old boy was taken to hospital after a fire, believed to have started in a faulty dishwashing machine, broke out in an apartment in Lam Tin, Kowloon on Friday.

The fire broke out at midnight in an apartment on the 13th floor of Wing Pak House at Hong Pak Court, home to a boy surnamed Yau and his family, Apple Daily reported.

Smoke billowed from the burning apartment, and many residents were seen waving torches from windows, calling to be rescued.

Firefighters arrived and put out the blaze in 30 minutes. During the operation, around 200 residents were evacuated to a public area.

The boy was sent to hospital for observation due to smoke inhalation.

After an initial investigation, firefighters believed a short circuit in a dishwashing machine was the source of the blaze.

As the father was out and the mother at work, leaving the boy home alone when the fire broke out, police arrested the parents for alleged ill-treatment or neglect by those in charge of a child or young person.