Domestic workers in Hong Kong should along their passports with a work visa when they replace the smart Hong Kong Identification Card, immigration officials have said.

A spokesperson from the Immigration Department reminded all domestic workers to bring their current Hong Kong identity card, travel document with a valid working visa when they go to the Smart Identity Card Replacement Centre to have their card replaced, reported.

Domestic workers who were born in 1985 or 1986 should apply for a new smart identity card in person at the replacement centre by March 30.

They will be followed by people who were born in 1968 and 1969, who will have to replace their smart ID cards during the third phase starting from April 1 to June 1.

Workers are advised to pre-fill the application form when making appointment bookings via the internet, the Immigration Department’s mobile app or the 24-hour telephone booking hotline at 2121-1234.

The authority emphasized that holders of existing smart Hong Kong Identity Cards, including foreign domestic workers and others working or studying or residing in Hong Kong with a visa, will be invited to replace their card in accordance with their year of birth within specific periods.

No fee will be charged for the new smart ID card under the replacement program, but those who fail to get them during the specified period without a valid reason could face a fine of HK$5,000 (US$637).

ReadEmployers urged to remind workers to switch to smart ID card