More than 150 patients had to be evacuated after a hospital in Banten in west Java caught fire late on Monday night.
The Tangerang General Hospital caught fire at around 11pm on February 25, The Jakarta Post reported. Staff at the hospital were forced to move 156 patients to other hospitals in the Tangerang Regency.
Feriansyah, the director of the hospital, said the patients were moved to 23 hospitals in the city and three hospitals in the surrounding area. Despite taking a long time, the evacuation ran smoothly, the director said.
The patients were first moved to the nearest safe spots, such as the park at the hospital and subdistrict offices, before being transferred to other hospitals. But patients who needed immediate care were taken to other hospitals first.
Feriansyah said the evacuation took eight hours to complete. But the procedure ran safely and other hospitals and communities showed support and responded well to their distress calls.
The hospital director said the fire was started by a faulty electrical panel on the third floor. Firefighters took about half an hour to fully extinguish the flames.
The security supervisor was the first person to notice the fire when he smelled a burning cable and promptly alerted other security staff members.
No casualties have been reported so far.