Officials in the Philippines have called on the Kuwaiti government to investigate the apparent murder of a Filipino domestic worker, who was allegedly beaten to death and sexually abused by her employer.
The Department of Labor and Employment said on Thursday that Constancia Lago Dayag, 47, was brought to Al Sabah Hospital on Tuesday night but declared dead on arrival.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said Dayag, from Isabella, suffered various contusions and hematoma, and a cucumber had also been inserted in her body, ABS-CBN News reported.
Bello said he would ask the Kuwaiti government to investigate the Filipina’s death. He has directed the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office in Kuwait to track down the recruitment agencies responsible for Dayag’s deployment.
“I am taking the Kuwaiti government to task for the gruesome death of yet another Filipino worker in the hands of her employer in Kuwait,” he was quoted as saying.
“Aside from apparent violation of the agreement on the protection of Filipinos between our government and Kuwait, there appears to have been a breach of the employment contract by the foreign employer,” Bello said.
The Duterte government ordered a ban on Filipino workers being sent to Kuwait last year following numerous deaths and cases of abuse. One involved a Filipina who had been slain and her body left for months in a freezer.
But the ban was eventually lifted after the two countries came to an agreement to try to ensure better protection for Filipinos who go to work in the Gulf state.
Bello hinted that Dayag was sexually abused before she died and said her death was deeply saddening and condemnable.
“We extend our sympathies to the family of Ms Dayag, and we shall do everything to find justice for her death,” he said.