Three Filipino engineers who were taken hostage in Libya in July last year have finally been released and returned home to the Philippines.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement that the three men arrived at Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 2 in Manila on Saturday morning.

The three Filipinos and their Korean colleague were held hostage after being taken by armed men from the project site of the Great Man-Made River project in the southern part of Libya.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr expressed appreciation to the efforts of the countries that led to the releases of the three Filipinos as well as their Korean colleague.

“We are glad that we are able to bring them home alive and safe to their families. These Filipinos coming home to their families are living proof that the DFA will never leave a Filipino in danger behind,” Locsin said.

The DFA, through the Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs, covered the cost of their airline tickets to Manila and provided them with cash assistance.