A family of three and their domestic workers were sent to hospital after a fire broke out in their apartment in Ma On Shan in the New Territories on Wednesday night.

At 11 pm, police received reports that heavy smoke and fire as coming out from an apartment on the 12th floor of Block 1 of Oceanaire, a private housing cluster in Ma On Shan, Oriental Daily reported.

Eleven fire engines, five ambulances and 56 firemen were deployed and the fire was put out in 15 minutes.

A 46-year-old man suffered second-degree burns to his face, legs and arm. His wife, 47, their 12-year-old son and a 40-year-old domestic worker felt unwell after inhaling smoke. They all needed to wear oxygen masks and were sent to a hospital.

About 400 residents were evacuated. After an initial investigation, firemen suspected the fire started from a power bar in the reading room, news website HK01.com reported.