Hong Kong police have again been criticized for their lack of action after being told a protester had been stabbed by a man wearing a white shirt in Tsuen Wan in the New Territories on Monday night.

Thugs thought to be connected with triad, or mafia, groups have staged a number of attacks on protesters, and always wear white shirts.

Monday’s attack on protesters by men in white in North Point on Hong Kong Island follows a similar attack at the Yuen Long MTR station last month.

Figo Chan Ho-wun, vice-convener of Civil Human Rights, said he saw 30 to 40 men wearing white-shirts and holding wooden rods and knifes chasing protesters and journalists in Tsuen Wan on Monday.

On Monday, two thugs in white shirts subdued a man and stabbed his hand and thigh several times, leading to serious injuries and a large loss of blood.

After learning of the violence, another video showed protesters chasing after a white-shirted man and subduing him on a floor and attacking him. Chan said police officers arrived 20 minutes after the ambulance, but by then the white-clad men had fled.

Officers did not chase the men, but instead dispersed the black-shirt protesters in the area. Angus Yik Shing-chung, a community officer from the Democratic Party, said 12 police vehicles arrived at the scene at 11pm. Witnesses told police the direction the white-shirted men ran to, but the officers did not chase after them.

A police vehicle returned later. Yik told the officers again the direction where the white-shirt men fled but the police officer replied “it’s okay, our colleagues will patrol around.”

Yik said the vehicles left at 11:37pm but did not return the scene when he left an hour later.

On the same night, Chiu Yan-loy from the Labour Party said he found a dozen people wearing blue T-shirts with “I Love Hong Kong” attacking passersby in the Tsuen Wan area with wooden sticks and knives at about 8pm. One man suffered an injury to his head.

At least five people were injured in the two attacks in Tsuen Wan, Apple Daily reported, and no arrests were made.

A protester who was stabbed by men in white shirts. Photo: Facebook / Figo Chan

Meanwhile, the mob attack in North Point on Monday night turned the area into a ghost town on Tuesday as online messages went viral about another potential attack by white-clad men.

Shops, banks and theaters along King’s Road from Fortress Hill to North Point almost all closed early in the afternoon. Residents living in the districts were worried about their safety. Police and police cars were seen patrolling the area, starting in the evening. No disputes or violent acts happened.

However, people slammed the police for their late arrival, almost four hours after the violent clashes between black-shirt protesters and white-clad men. The police force said the delay was because many protesters besieged the North Point Police Station and they could not deploy officers to the scene on time.

A territory-wide strike and rallies were held in seven districts on Monday. There were violent clashes between police and anti-extradition bill protesters in Kowloon’s Wong Tai Sin, Mong Kok, Shatin, Tuen Mun and Tai Po in the New Territories. The chaos ended with 800 tear gas canisters fired altogether across the city to disperse the crowds. Police arrested 148 people aged between 13 and 63.